Friday, August 12, 2011

Firsts Fridays: Jen Daiker

This is no kidding, my guest today for Firsts Fridays is AMAZING. She truly inspires me by her blogging and writing. Read on and I think you will agree.

Let us get to know the too cool for school….JEN DAIKER! You may know her from her very popular blog UNEDITED.
Tell me she isn’t funny. Just read what she has to say about herself:

I love to lie. Wait a minute, I love to tell stories, yup that's my calling. I spend my days day dreaming of distant lands, fairies, witches and that one handsome prince who will whisk each and everyone of my characters off their feet and into a more beautiful place. Why write of reality and live in reality when there are so many possibilities through imagination. They call me crazy, but I call myself a writer. This is my life on paper.
DB: Jen, you are so awesome for letting me pick your brain. Thanks!

Let’s talk about platform…
You have a great platform through your blog—a slew of followers—and word on the street is this happened in a matter of months. Could you share with us your wisdom on how you did such an amazing feat and how you keep it up?

JD: *Blushes* I can’t get past the fact people talk about me on the streets, how cool is that? I am lucky enough to have been blogging for a year and have all wonderful people following me. I have to say I have so much fun with it I couldn’t imagine giving it up. I started it as inspiration to find myself. Now it’s a part of me. If you love to blog, then blog, if you don’t, then don’t. People know when you aren’t in to it. They’re like vampires, instead of feeding off blood; they’ll feed off the negativity.
DB: So it sounds to me like your love for blogging has people feeling the happy vibes. I really couldn’t agree more. I have visited blogs where you get this weird vibe. Strange, but true.

What is your take on a fiction writer having a platform? Do you think this will help you when you get your dream agent (which no doubt it right around the cornerJ)
JD: I think it’s a great way for the agent to get to know your personality and work ethic, but I don’t think it’s necessary. Many agents ask you not to force it. Like I said before, if you don’t feel it, don’t do it. Blogging is like a job, it’s a lot to keep up, if you’re not willing to put in the effort, it won’t make it. Focus on what you love, if that’s writing, the agent will love you no matter what. After all, they’re looking for a book to sell, not a blog. HOWEVER, it doesn’t hurt to have one J

DB: Very good advice!
How do you time manage your writing with your blog, Twitter and any other platform avenues you use?

JD: Saturdays I write all my posts. I’m a M-F blog poster, so everything is pre-scheduled. Sometimes I’ll even have a month of posts set up. Twitter happens while I’m sitting on the couch with my hubby. Writing happens every morning, thirty minutes before work, and every fifteen minute break I can get. When I’m inspired I can write 10K in one sitting at home (hubby cooks dinner those nights). I use facebook, but more to lurk, and it’s for family. It’s all about knowing your limits. I wish I could comment around the blogging world but if I want time to write I have to let go of it. It’s the hardest thing to let go of too. I still struggle daily.
DB: It sounds like you are winning the battle though. So dang organized!

Getting to know the writer in you…
What is your writing style? Do you write every day, are you a plotter or a pantster, etc?

I write when I feel it, and when I feel it, days of silence set in until it’s finished. I used to be a panster, but recently a plotter. Every book is different for me. No matter what, I write fast. My slowest book written was 14 days, my shortest was 5 days. Ranging from 60K – 120K (and no, the 14 days was not for novel sitting at 120K).

DB: Holy smokes girl 14 days?! That is IMPRESSIVE!
You are shopping agents for chick lit right now, how is the querying going?

JD: Right now I’m learning about the agents and who best suits me. I decided to go through another round of revisions before sending it off into the world. I believe everyone is different and my first experience with querying showed just how new I was. My idea was too unique for agents to take on, however, the newest novel is getting a lot of attention from readers about how relatable it is, and I already have an agent lined up who is interested. Sometimes the world of blogging and tweeting pays off!
DB: Oh YAY! I’m sure we will be hearing about you landing an agent on your blog soon no doubtJ

Just for fun…
Can you tell us something we just have to know about Jen Daiker?

JD: I’ll share three odd things about myself: I don’t eat condiments, nope, not even on French fries. I have a friend who designs shoes for me based on the characters and stories I write (all are ridiculously awesome and one day I think they’ll sell, she’s brilliant). Licking fingers grosses me out, if I eat pizza or Cheetos I’ll wash my hands directly after – take me to a wings place? Forget about it… not a chance!
DB: Wow, all these are interesting, but I think you’ve got every girls attention on the shoes! I want a friend like thatJ

Thanks so much for doing this interview Jen! You are one of kindJ
JD: You’ve been a fabulous host! Thank you so much for having me!!

If you are like me and want to stalk Jen...I kid, I kid:) But seriously...here is her Blog one more time and her Twitter

Until next time...
Keep writing. Keep learning.

Oh, and guess what? I'll have internet again Monday!  YES!!!

11 comments:

Katie Ganshert said...

Great interview! I'm so impressed with Jen and how successful she's been with her blog. I can't imagine it will take long for her to find an agent, especially when I read her query letter she posted. The story sounds like something I'd love to read!

And 5 days!?! I'm amazed. Truly amazed.

Christa Desir said...

Oh two awesome people doing a great interview! Hooray. Nice post.

Unknown said...

Katie - You're a gem! Thank you for the kind words! I look forward to sharing the good news with you eventually!!!

Thank you Christa! You're a doll!

Deana you've been amazing! I want to put you in my pocket and carry you around. My fun little cheerleader :)

Jenna Blake Morris said...

Awesome interview! I'm still trying to get past the whole "five to fourteen days" thing. My mind is slightly blown.

Michelle Fayard said...

A wonderful post about one of my favorite and most inspirational bloggers. I saved my two favorite take-away messages in a file I keep when I need to remember how to retain my sanity. Thank you both!

Angela Cothran said...

How fun :) I love reading Jen's blog. Thanks for the interview.

Emily R. King said...

Jen and Deana all on one blog? Awesome! Great post, and I can't believe you don't lick those yummy cheesy fingers after eating Cheetos, that's the best part! But I can see why that would gross you out...actually, no I can't. Lol!

Leslie S. Rose said...

Cool interview. I'm so impressed with Jen's creative speed and her organization to blog five days a week. You go girl! I'll chant some good agent vibes for your latest MS, Jen. Fun to get to know you. Thanks, Deana.

Unknown said...

Jenna - Revise time isn't so sweet if that helps any!!

Michelle - *blushes* That is so sweet of you!!

Angie - Thanks for stopping in!

Emily - Even the word lick has me cringing!!!

Leslie - You're a gem! Thank you for stopping in! It's been a pleasure visiting!

*^_^* said...

Great post! Great interview!
Awesome!

Deana said...

You all are so great for coming to visit Jen on her Firsts Friday here. I wish I could have been more a part of it, but stupid internet was down with the move and I only had my cheap little phone that doesn't do much but read my emails.

Jen- Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I think you have blown some minds with your quick writing and funny quirks:)