Friday, January 6, 2012

That was Then, This is Now

That was Then

Last year I had a couple of solid goals:

1) Finish my novel

2) Get in shape

Did I meet them?

For the first goal. I did. But in a way totally unexpected. Mid-year I decided to shelve the novel I was working on, for an idea that had been swimming in my brain for a couple of years. I will be sending it out to beta buddies in the next two weeks. So YES! Goal met.

As for the second one, getting in shape. Did I meet it? Not so much. I digress.

This is Now

There is something about this year that has me giddy with hope and excitement and anticipation. It could be because my plan is to begin querying in February, and I haven't yet experienced the drudgery of waiting, accompanied with utter rejection. Over and over. But I'll tell you something, even with that notion on the horizon, I'm still totally pumped up for 2012!

So without further ado (and praying I don't bore you because this is quite possibly your 100th goals post you've read for the new year) I give you my goals for 2012:

-Query 10 agents at a time until I decide whether my query and/or manuscript is working, or is a total bust and in need of a rehaul.

-Land my dream agent (yep, I said it)

-Write another book and outline a third
-Get my dang finances in order

-Get organized--like, every junk drawer, and closet cleaned out. For real this time.

-Get my writers butt in shape. I know, I know. I said this one too. But seriously. I'm going to do it this year.

-Develop more meaningful relationships with my kids. Not just talk to them while my face is glued to the computer screen.

-Throw an even bigger 'Gearin' Up to Get an Agent Blogfest' (Oh yeah, it's coming back!)

-Get a website

-Do something new with my blog, or possibly start a group blog with like-minded writers (If anyone reading this has been thinking the same thing, let's talk:)

-BE PATIENT

That's it. You think I can do it? What about 80% at least? I'm shooting for 95%.

What about you? If you haven't worn this topic into the ground, what are your goals for the new year?

20 comments:

Andrea Mack said...

Deana, I'm sure if anyone could meet these goals, it's you. I hope you achieve everything you want to and more! I'm with you on the getting more organized.

Unknown said...

You're savvy enough to pull these off! That's quite the list. Though that's not saying much considering I don't have a list at all, so I really can't be talking!

My goals are a little different then yours this year. I'm focusing on me and writing in general. Just making sure words are still making their way on the page.

The other stuff is to organize the apartment, buy a house, and adopt. Those will keep me busy all year.

Joanne said...

Very effective goals for your writing life! They're all necessary steps, definitely. This year, I'm looking to grow and learn as a writer as I move closer to my book's publication in March.

Best wishes, and Happy Writing to you :)

Meredith said...

I need to steal some of these goals, especially the Get organized one--that definitely needs to happen this year! Good luck! Sounds like 2012 will be very productive for you!

Kelley Lynn said...

I'm going to get my butt in gear too :) So far I've worked out every day this week... gotta start somewhere.

And, we can keep our fingers crossed together! I have two queries out to agents and plan on landing my dream agent this year too! (My fingers really hurt from all the crossing...)

Here's to a great 2012!

Loree Huebner said...

Your goals sound great! I'm sure you will accomplish them.

Angela Cothran said...

Be patient! What a great goal. I need that on my list. Let me know if you need another beta reader :)

Emily R. King said...

Great goals! I can't wait to hear what happens with your querying. I can't wait to read your book! It's gonna be an epic year.

Angela Brown said...

You've got a great list of goals. But I like the last thing you mentioned, which has a lot to do with me working on my number goal of finding balance, and that's Being Patient.

That is the great goal right there...though landing that dream agent is also uber great.

Chemist Ken said...

Wow, that sounds ambitious. I've been working on my manuscript for two and a half years already and it still seems like it's years away.

But I bet you can meet your goals. You seem inspired.

Jenny S. Morris said...

It's awesome that you finished your book. And you have some great goals. Mine is to strengthen relationships with writing friends (that includes you ;) and my family. All the rest will be icing on the cake.

Jasmine Walt said...

Those are some great goals, Deana! I'm sure you'll hit that 95%, and look great doing it too! ;)

Sharon Bayliss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon Bayliss said...

Yay, I'm glad you're doing another Gearing Up To Get An Agent Blogfest! I'm looking forward to using the acronym GUTGAA again. :) I'm still up for being a beta reader, so if you still need me, send me your MS anytime. I'm starting to query The Charge, but I still want your opinion. Or if you haven't gotten very far, you can wait to beta read my next MS which will be ready for eyes in the spring. Best of luck in 2012!

Book Lover said...

I'm so proud of you for finishing your book <3

Anonymous said...

Great goals:) I power walked 6 miles this morning w/ a friend. I'm determined to work this weight off that's come from sitting in front of the computer waaaaaayyyyyy too much in the past 2 1/2 years of writing:( I just sent out queries to 10 agents on Wed., already got my first rejection, blah! Oh well, I'm still excited like you:) Best of luck!!!

Leslie S. Rose said...

I like the way you think. It'll be a blast to see how the goals to. Sending you good query vibes. I'll be doing the same, so here's to positive query karma floating around the universe.

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Good luck!!! Your goals sound AWESOME!

Jess said...

Great goals! That "get a website" one is on my list, too, especially since I actually know how to make them myself now. It wasn't specifically a 2011 resolution--more like one I've resolved to do for a long, long time. But I learned how to do it last year, so it totally counts, right?

ETowns said...

Great List. Great big list. I like the Blog with other authors idea - have you seen The Débutante Ball? It is a blog that works kinda like that. I have been toying with that idea - and it could really be good support for folks launching a manuscript.

I have been adding things to my list of goals and breaking the goals down to steps to see what I consider 'doable' and what I think is just 'dreamable'. Once I figure it out, which will be mid Feb., I will know where I'm going. One thing for sure, I'm taking some graphic classes to brush up on my computer skills. I like the idea of maintaining my website, which I need to have up and running by February.

I am excited for this year as well.