Monday, May 30, 2011

I've Just Gotta Ask...

If you haven't signed up for the Gearin' Up to Get an Agent Blogfest, now's your time!

First things first...HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!  I hope while we are all stuffing our face with burgers and potato salad (so not on my Weight Watchers plan) that we will take the time to remember our troops who have fallen and who still stand as well.  I'm sure we all know at least one and they deserve some extra special love today.

Now onto my question.  Maybe I should make this a regular occurrence because  my readers gave me some killer advice last time:)

So...does your current emotion alter the way your characters feel during writing?  I just finished reading Divergence by Veronica Roth and when I went to writing after that, all I wanted to do was make my protag fall in love with some super sultry dude.  Not that that is what Divergence is about in any way, but the chemistry in the book had my stomach doing flips more than once...sigh

If your emotions take over you when writing, is it a good thing or a bad thing?  And if it is a bad thing, what do you do to get out of your emotion and tap back into your characters?

***

In blogfest news, the sign up numbers keep on climbing and I am thrilled because the more we get, the more fun it will be.  Wednesday I will be posting about the specific deets so come on back and check it out!

Until then...
Keep writing.  Keep learning.

6 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

Absolutely. If you're really down that's a great time to right about something downer that's happening in your WIP. Or vice versa.

Alleged Author said...

My current emotions always affect my characters. Sometimes I have to write a whole different scene of my wip just to get the emotions out and onto paper. I'm a big believer in "scene skipping."

Deana said...

Donna and Alleged Author, perfect! I can't tell you how good that makes me feel. For awhile I had been feeling guilty, like my emotions were taking away from who the characters are, but I guess all our characters are aa extension of us to some degree.

I also really like the idea of scene skipping. I haven't tried that before...but I will now:)

Book Lover said...

Most definitely!

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Often, when I'm really into what I'm writing, my emotions become irrelevant (especially if I'm in a bad mood). I get so into the characters that I put my own thoughts and feelings aside.

Deana said...

Good point Cynthia! It really can drag you out of your head and into the other world. I guess for me, that doesn't happen instantly, but it does happen pretty soon into it:)