Monday, September 24, 2012

Agent Pitch Finalist #5 - Harold - The Kid Who Ruined My Life and Saved the Day

Harold - The Kid Who Ruined My Life and Saved the Day
MG contemporary
36,000

Query:

Harold has ruined twelve-year-old Jake’s life for the last time. So what if Harold has Asperger’s and is a genius when it comes to baseball trivia and sixth grade Algebra. Jake’s D-O-N-E.

Harold collects baseball facts like the Smithsonian collects dead things and Jake is convinced that Harold also has a talent for killing his social life.Jake’s known Harold ever since kindergarten and now that he’s in middle school he can finally be free of Harold and his obsession with the New York Yankees.  Harold’s on the accelerated track which means he’ll spend all his time in the super smart classes all the way on the second floor.

With Harold out of the way, Jake can focus on landing a spot with the undefeated Comets. The best Jake’s baseball team can do is second place and he’ll do whatever it takes to get on the number one team even if it means leaving his friends and his dad, the coach, behind. Once he’s rid ofHarold and playing shortstop for a winning team, being one of the cool kids is in his glove.

But just as Jake finally gets a seat at lunch next to the Comets’ players, which will most likely lead to a spot on their roster, the unthinkable happens. Harold gets B lunch and in the words of Yogi Berra, it’s “deja vu all over again.”

If Jake wants to play for the Comets, he’ll have to ditch Harold for good and make it stick this time. Only he might decide that winning isn’t everything and that loyal friends are hard to find. And it’s just possible that Harold’s knowledge of expert plays can help Jake and his old team beat the undefeated Comets.

First 150 Words:

On the first day of sixth grade, I cracked open the front door and looked outside. The bus stop was empty. So far, so good. I’d figured Harold’s mom would drive him this year like she did when he was in kindergarten. Harold had trouble when it came to new things. Well, that was one of his problems.

I walked toward the stop and from behind I heard, “Hey Jake! Wait up! It’s 8:03. Bus Number 6 will be here at 8:07.”

I walked faster and called over my shoulder, “Thanks for the update, Harold. I didn’t know I was so early. Tomorrow, I’ll sleep in a whole 4 minutes.”

Harold caught up with me and said, “I woke up at 6:33, but Mom said I couldn’t come out until I saw you.”

Great. Where is that bus?

“Hey, Jake, have you ever heard of Harvey Haddix?” he asked while he rummaged through his book bag.

4 comments:

Linda Glaz said...

Again,I don't do kids' but this is a timely topic that should do well.

Tricia Lawrence of Erin Murphy Literary said...

I'm so into this. Check with Dean for submissions info. Thx!

Tricia Lawrence of Erin Murphy Literary said...

I mean Deana! Typing too fast! ;)

Tricia Lawrence of Erin Murphy Literary said...

Adding sub info: Please send this manuscript (as a .doc attachment) and paste your full query for in the email to tricia@emliterary.com with the subject as GUTGAA and author name and title. Thx!