Monday, September 24, 2012

Agent Pitch Finalist #42 - Maybe I Do

MAYBE I DO
Romantic Comedy
110,000 words

Query:

Danielle Sutton has no intention of getting married. Yet when Dani’s boyfriend, Matt, proposes to her on live television, she can’t bear to publicly humiliate him by saying no. And when the TV producers offer to put on her dream wedding in only four weeks, she can’t turn them down without giving away her secret. Dani loves Matt, but she is not going to be anyone’s wife.

The last time Dani was engaged, Trevor MacWilliam broke her heart in a spectacular disappearing act. He strolls back into town just in time to watch the engagement take place and knows Dani well enough to recognize that she was lying when she said yes. As far as Trevor is concerned, it’s the prime time to beg for forgiveness and persuade Dani that he can help her escape the wedding juggernaut and start again.

Now Dani has a month to extricate herself from the perfect wedding she agreed to and convince Matt to stay with her without the ceremony, or decide if her unresolved feelings for Trevor are the reason she doesn’t want to get married in the first place.


First 150 words:

For someone with no intention of ever getting married, I had been engaged an alarming number of times.
   
The first time didn't really count. I was only six, after all, and the engagement was ended abruptly when my mother discovered that in addition to showing me his fascinating ability to pee on a floating Cheerio, my seven-year old fiancé had also taught me the finer points of cursing to get attention.

Little shit got me grounded for the rest of the summer.
   
The memory of my mother dragging the shaggy blond-haired boy by the scruff of the neck back home for punishment still played in Technicolor whenever I thought of that afternoon. Sighing, I gave my wet hair a shake, squishing up the ends with mousse in a futile attempt to give it some body. I could not dwell on the past. The past was not the problem.

5 comments:

Sarah E. Younger (Nancy Yost Literary Agency) said...

My first thoughts are this may be a bit long, but I'm really excited to see more. The premise adorable/unique and the first 150 words had me snickering. At this point I would like to request the full manuscript.

Cheers,
Sarah E. Younger

Jordy said...

I would love to see more too :) Could you please send the first 50 pages to me at jordy@corvisieroagency.com? Thanks!

Deana said...

Hi! Please send Sarah Younger's request querysarah@nyliterary.com with "GUTGAA Request" in the subject line and the query in the body of the email as a reminder:) Thanks!

Linda Glaz said...

Again, an amazing zinger of an opener.

Hannah Bowman said...

I like the voice in this a lot. But as far as the query goes, I'm a little concerned that the stakes don't seem to get higher -- I think the end of the query is weak. But of course, other agents may (and do) feel differently! Best of luck!